A blog showcasing quilt patterns by Monica Curry. Get free patterns, quilting tutorials, and printables. Quilt patterns for every skill level are featured.

Tuesday, 11 April 2017

How to Recycle your Batting Scraps


how to recycle batting scraps

Over time, like most quilters, I wind up with a lot of spare quilt batting pieces in all kinds of sizes. I keep these in a batting scrap box. These pieces come in handy when I don't want to cut up a large piece when doing a small project.

I used to zig-zag stitch my pieces together but in a rush one day, I used a quicker method that I now prefer. I now recycle my batting bits by joining them together with fusible interfacing. It's so much faster than stitching them together, and they hold together very well this way. I hope this little tutorial will encourage you to save your batting scraps and find a use for them.

You Will need

  • batting chunks you want to join 
  • rotary cutter 
  • quilting ruler or regular ruler 
  • strips of fusible interfacing. I used Pellon Sheerweight interfacing, but a medium weight interfacing will work just as well. I'm also pretty sure there is such a thing as batting tape but the interfacing does the trick. 

Instructions


1. Get your batting pieces and check if they are jagged on the edge or not (these are pretty jagged).

recycle batting scraps step 1


2. If the batting edges are jagged, trim a little off to make both edges straight.

recycle batting scraps step 2


3. Butt the two edges together as shown; don't overlap them.

recycle batting scraps step 3


4. Following the manufacture's instructions press the fusible interfacing securely to the batting.

recycle batting scraps step 4


5. This is something like what your batting will look like. Any puckers are not an issue because you won't see them once you sandwich your quilt.

recycle batting scraps step 5


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment