A blog showcasing quilt patterns by Monica Curry. Get free patterns, quilting tutorials, and printables. Quilt patterns for every skill level are featured.

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

10 Great Canadian Online Fabric Stores

If you think buying your fabric online south of the border is cheaper, think again. I found out early that shopping US online doesn't really save me much money.

10 best canadian online fabric stores

When I first started ordering fabric online, I initially went to the US stores because of the cheaper prices. I quickly learned, however, that I wasn't getting much of a bargain. 

Let's do the math . . . 

For one thing, shipping costs from the US can sometimes be outrageous. Also, you have to take into account the current Canadian/US dollar exchange rate, which is pretty high right now. As of this post, the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar is around 1.30. That's right, right now our dollar is only worth around 0.70 cents compared to the US $1.00. This means when you shop US stores online, you're paying 0.30 cents more on the dollar for your fabric. For example, a fabric at $10 US will cost you $13 CAD and $100 US can jump to $130 CAD! And that's before shipping costs.

It didn't take me long to realize I was better off shopping locally or at Canadian online fabric stores. In some cases, the fabric prices are higher, but I've found some great bargains with really good shipping rates. 

I still prefer to shop my local stores, but below are 10 of my favourite Canadian online fabric stores with their shipping rates. This is not an exhaustive list. These are just the main stores that I go to if I shop online. If you have any Canadian online shops you like that aren't listed here, let me know.


Canadian National Fabric
This is my favourite online fabric store. The selection of quality fabrics is excellent and prices are as low as $6/metre. You also collect points on your purchases.

Shipping:
$5 flat rate shipping anywhere within Canada.
Free shipping on orders over $75.

Dinkydoo Modern Fabrics
A very nice selection of modern fabrics.

Shipping:
$8.99 flat rate under $99
Free shipping for orders $99+

NEW Fabric Spark

Shipping
$5 for orders up to $25
$8 to $11 for orders from $25 to $149  -
$150 and over - Free

Flare Fabrics
A lovely selection of batiks at this store.

Shipping:
All Canadian orders under $20 get a flat shipping rate of $4.50
Ontario orders between $20.00 to $124.99 - $9.99
Quebec orders between $20 to $124.99 - $11.99
Rest of Canada orders between $20.00 to $124.99-$13.99
All of Canada orders over $125 - FREE

Fridays Off Fabric Shop
Has a nice selection of unusual modern prints.

Shipping:
Under $20 - $2.99
$20.01 and $45 - $5.95 flat rate.
$40.01 and $124.99 - Canada Post calculated shipping.
Free shipping on orders over $125.

NEW Hamels Fabrics
Excellent, large selection of fabrics.

Shipping:
Starts at $5.50 depending on how much you spend.
Free shipping on orders $200 or more.

Log Cabin Yardage
If you want to build your stash, they have a good fabric club which offers six fat quarters for $22.60/month (includes shipping).

Shipping:
$7 for orders up to $30.
$10 for orders between $30.01and $100
$15 for orders over $100.

Mad About Patchwork
Great selection of fabrics at reasonable prices.

Shipping:
$6.95 flat rate for orders under $150.
Free shipping for orders over $150.

My Fabric Spot
Nice selection of modern fabrics.

Shipping:
$6.99 flat rate.
Free shipping on orders over $150.

Sew Sisters
Good selection of notions, batting, and interfacing. Excellent selection of clearance fabrics.

Shipping:
$0 - $19.99 - $4.99
$20.00 - $100 - $8.99
Over $100 - Free

2 comments :

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future...
    COLLECTION SHOP ONLINE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback. This list was something I made for myself and decided to share it with other Canadians so we could all support Canadian stores as much as possible.

      Delete