Below are the basic five colour combinations you can get from the colour wheel. I use one of these as a starting point when planning quilt colours. With practice, choosing fabrics will become easier starting with just these five combinations.
Get a FREE PDF download of these combinations HERE.
1. MONOCHROMATIC are different shades and tints of the same colour.
2. COMPLEMENTARY are those colours that are across from each other on the colour wheel.
3. ANALOGOUS are colours that are beside each other on the colour wheel.
4. SPLIT COMPLEMENTARY The base colour (e.g. red) and the colours that are adjacent to that colour's complement (e.g. green).
5. TRIAD are colours that are evenly spaced on the colour wheel.